A Easy Red Beans and Rice recipe, perfect on it’s own or add sliced Andoullie sausage for a hearty evening meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 (18 ounce) can red beans, drain and reserve the juice (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Heat olive oil heavy saucepan and saute the chopped onions until soft.
- Add water and bean liquid to saucepan and bring to a simmer, you should have 1 cup liquid. Add more water if needed.
- Add the rice tand when it returns to a simmer, lower the heat and cover.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, remover lid and add red beans on top of the rice and replace the lid.
- Cook for an addition 5-8 minutes to read the beans an evaporate any remaining liquid.
- Divide between plates and top with topped avocado.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 86mg Carbohydrates: 54g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g
Average Cost of Ingredients Used in Red Beans and Rice Recipe:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil: 50 cents
- 1 clove garlic, minced: 25 cents
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice: 50 cents
- 1 (18 ounce ) can red beans : $1.79
- 1/2 avocado: $1.00
- Sour Cream : 50 cents
Estimated Total Cost: $4.54 (serves 2)
Average Cost per serving: $2.27