Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, read on for some great Cheap Date Ideas! This year Valentine’s Day falls on a Friday, no need to limit to just one idea, mix and match to celebrate all weekend. I’ve done every one of these cheap dates with my husband, some of them before he was my husband, and each one was special and fun. Spending time together without spending a lot of money is rewarding, and you can learn a lot about each other likes and dislikes.
Cheap doesn’t mean boring, actually cheap dates are some of the most romantic dates you can have. When you have money to spend, roses and dinner are easy, but not very original.
Also, check your local city website for cheap date ideas in the “things to do” section and your local or neighborhood newspaper for two for one admission deals.
Wondering what to do for Valentine’s Day? Try one or more of these 25 cheap date ideas.
- See a play at a 99 seat theater or college production.
- Picnic in the park.
- Godzilla movie marathon. (my favorite)
- A romantic walk on the beach. (his favorite, aren’t I a lucky gal)
- See a Summer movie on your iPad, outdoors in the park or on the beach.
- Shop garage sales on a Saturday morning then go for coffee.
- Find the happy hours that offer free or cheap appetizers and go for a light (wink) dinner then go for a romatic stroll.
- Make it a triple date and play classic board games like Clue or Monopoly.
- Stroll the local antique shops.
- Fly kites or play Frisbee in the park.
- Cook a new recipe at home while watching a food-related movie like Julie and Julia.
- Go for dessert at a little French café and then a stroll afterward.
- Go to a local high school sporting event.
- Pack fruit and cheese and head out to the beach and watch the sunset.
- Drive around the city taking photos of the old and unique architecture.
- Curl up on the sofa and read a book together.
- Sign up for a free introductory dance class.
- Go to a bar and pretend you don’t know each other and try to pick each other up.
- Check out the local art museums.
- Binge watch a new TV show like Stranger Things.
- Double date, order a pizza and play “truth or dare” or “twenty questions.”
- Go to a video arcade then go home and watch TRON. (yes, I’m that old)
- Miniature golf cause real gold takes too long and is expensive.
- Midnight movies at a local art theater.
- Explore the city on your bike (be careful, wear a helmet and stay on the bike paths
How did Valentine’s Day start?
Some people think it’s just a made-up retail holiday, however, Valentine’s Day does have some history. It’s suspected that the holiday has origins in the Roman festival of Lupercalia, held in mid-February. The festival, was a celebration of the coming of spring, included fertility rites and the pairing off of women with men by lottery. At the end of the 5th century, Pope Gelasius I replaced Lupercalia with St. Valentine’s Day.
What’s the difference between Valentine’s Day and Galentine’s Day?
On Valentines Day a couple celebrates their romantic relationship and on Galentine’s Day you celebrate platonic relationships you have with with your girlfriends.
What is Galentine’s Day?
It’s a day to celebrate your girlfriends , whether they’re single or married. It’s a made-up holiday to show your girlfriends the love you have for them and let them know your happy to have them in your life. Many of the cheap date ideas above are also great to celebrate Galentine’s day.
When is Galentines Day?
Galentine’s Day is celebrated on February 13, the day before Valentine’s Day.
Which traditional valentine’s day gift would you rather receive: chocolates or flowers? I’ll start, my choice is chocolates.
more from the frugal muse